As it gets hotter this summer, take a dip to cool off and for your health. Swimming is one of the most versatile and effective physical activities that you can do. It can be practiced by anyone, regardless of age or fitness level, and in almost any physical condition!
The benefits of swimming are numerous and positively impact multiple aspects of your health simultaneously so let’s dive in! Keep reading and learn the top ten health benefits of swimming.
- Great workout: Swimming is the ultimate workout because it involves and works your major body systems, including musculoskeletal, nervous, respiratory and cardiovascular systems. This leads to improved lean muscle mass and elasticity, coordination, balance, flexibility, blood circulation, endurance, posture and weight maintenance among other benefits (2,3,4).
- Stress buster: Swimming promotes the release of endorphins which makes it a true stress buster—reduce emotional tension, worrying, and various stages of anxiety (3,4).
- Calorie torcher: Do you need to burn some calories? Since swimming involves all major muscle groups in an intensive workout you won’t be disappointed if you choose it for this purpose (2)!
- Sleep enhancer: Swimming, just like any regular exercise, promotes healthy sleep (2).
- Mood booster: Better mood and mental health in general as well as greater confidence and sharper thinking are all benefits resulting from regular swimming (2,4).
- Immunity boost: Studies found that being submerged in water that is cooler than body temperature strengthens the immune system by promoting increased production of white blood cells that protect the body against pathogens such as viruses. Moreover, the cooler the water is and the more regular swimming sessions are, the stronger the effect on the immune system (1).
- Pregnancy: Swimming is a physical activity that can be done safely, and is often recommended, during pregnancy. It’s easy on your joints so pregnant women dealing with aches and pains can benefit from a low-impact swim (2).
- Disease prevention: Swimming may help normalize blood pressure and blood sugar levels and prevent some of the most common health conditions such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and stroke (2,3,4).
- Effective workout even when you have health issues: One of the main benefits of swimming as a workout is that it can accommodate individuals with health issues ranging from arthritis and injuries to asthma, multiple sclerosis, mobility issues and disabilities (2)
- Longevity: Aging is inevitable, but swimming can help slow down the process. Any regular activity can make you stay healthier and feel younger for longer (5,6)!
1) 4 reasons why swimming is great for your immune system
2) Physical and mental benefits of swimming
3) 7 benefits of swimming and how to get them
4) Simplify your workout with lap swimming
5) How swimming helps you stay younger for longer
6) What can we learn from swimmers of a certain age?